2020 SAM Grants
2020 Social Action and Mission Board (SAM) Grants
Rock Spring Congregational United Church of Christ charges its Social Action and Mission Board (SAM) with the responsibility of managing Rock Spring’s Wider Mission budget. This Board will consider 2020 grant applications for purposes that are consistent with Rock Spring’s identity as a Just Peace and an Open and Affirming Congregation, and that promote ecumenical and interfaith witness.
Priority consideration is given to applications from:
- Organizations that not only meet the most basic human needs of our community, but that also can benefit from the involvement of Rock Spring member volunteers.
- Organizations within the Metropolitan Washington, D.C. area (primarily in Arlington and Northern Virginia) that provide assistance to those within our communities least able to help themselves.
- National and international organizations that provide assistance to those least able to help themselves and that have a particular relationship with our congregation.
- Organizations in alignment with the values of the United Church of Christ that are working to fulfill our church’s wider mission.
Grant applicants can request general operating support for the core programs of their organization or special projects beyond the organization’s normal budget scope. Grants are not made to individuals. Grant amounts generally range from $500-$3,000, though larger amounts up to $5,000 may be considered in special circumstances.
Please note that a results-based report of the utilization of grant funds is required. It should address the success relative to the measurements specified. 2019 grantees should email a 1-2 page narrative of the results of their 2019 grant to SAMgrants@rockspringucc.org.
Grant applications (both the completed application and supporting documents, when applicable) should be submitted no later than July 31, 2020 to SAMgrants@rockspringucc.org.
New this year: previous applicants do not need to submit supporting financial documents (previous applicants will still need to fill out and submit a 2020 SAM Grant Application).
Applicants who have not applied before will need to fill out and submit a 2020 SAM Grant Application along with copies of the following documents:
- The organization's most recent annual budget.
- IRS Tax determination letter indicating that the organization is a public charity under Section 501(c)(3).
- A link to online access of their most recent 990 form.
Grant applicants will be notified during the third quarter of 2020 and grants will be distributed in the fourth quarter of 2020.
Please contact Grants Subcommittee Chair Diana Maxwell at SAMgrants@rockspringucc.org with any questions.