September Faith + Life: Bible Basics
When: September 15, 22, 29
Where: Hunter Room 205 from 10:00 a.m. to 10:50 a.m.
The Gospels of Luke
The work of the Christian church should be firmly based in the Bible, according to Luther. More than any other gospel Luke may support our mission of social justice and community activism. The first Faith + Life series of this programming year will show you how. You may even go forth able to spout chapter and verse when people ask you why you do what you do.
Week 1. The Context of the Story:
- Background on the Roman world at the time of Jesus
- Who is Jesus in the story?
- 2 of the themes suggested by this gospel: Redemptive Purpose; Salvation of All
Week 2. The Context of the Writer
- The Roman world at the time of Luke
- Who Wrote This Gospel? And why?
- 2 of the themes suggested by this gospel: The Blessings of Poverty and the Dangers of Wealth; Table Fellowship
Week 3. The Context of the Reader
- The state of the modern world
- Themes suggested by this gospel: The Role of the Disciple; The Importance of Accurate Witness
- How should Rock Spring UCC engage with this gospel?