- This event has passed.
Refilling Our Cups: Women’s Retreat
- Date: Sunday, May 15, 2022
- Time: 12:00pm–4:30pm
- Location: Upper Neighborhood House
You can’t pour from an empty cup. The last couple of years have been exceedingly draining as we have navigated the pandemic. For many, a challenge has been finding the time or space or new ways to meet our own needs. The overarching goal of this year’s Retreat is to give Rock Spring women an opportunity to spend a few hours filling their own cups and (re)connecting to the Rock Spring community, the Spirit that is always moving among us, and to themselves.
We will gather at noon in Upper Neighborhood House for a time of centering and connecting followed by lunch (provided). You are encouraged to bring a mug or cup that you love which you can refill (literally!) throughout the afternoon.
We will then spend the bulk of our time participating with a variety of workshops designed to help us refill our cups (see list below). We hope each participant will find experiences that will nourish their soul, helping them to end the day refreshed and renewed. Each workshop will be offered twice, and you will have the opportunity to participate in 3 workshops during the afternoon. You may also choose to find a place to simply sit in silence or to gather in conversation. This is your time!
At the end of the day, we will join in a closing worship service, including Communion.
Following the Retreat, anyone who wishes is invited to extend the day with a social hour at Ashley’s house (just a few blocks from Rock Spring). Beverages (spirited and non) and light appetizers will be available.
There is no cost for the Retreat.
Please click here to register by May 5. When you register, you will be asked to indicate any food allergies or dietary needs you have. We are happy to accommodate! You will also be asked whether you intend to participate in the Social Hour. You do NOT need to choose your workshops when registering – please be led by the Spirit during the Retreat.
Questions? Please reach out to Ashley.
- Meditative Walking – Led by Amy Bergner. We will meet outside (weather permitting) to experience the spiritual practice of walking meditation. As the Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh put it, the practice of mindful walking is a profound and pleasurable way to deepen our connection with our body and the earth. We breathe, take a mindful step, and come back to our true home. Accessible for beginners and those with limited walking ability, as well as experienced walkers or those with an established meditation practice.
- Yoga – Led by Karen White. Fill your cup by practicing the joining of breath and movement. This will be an all-levels session with mat or chair options.
- Stitch Meditation – Led by Peggy Greenwood & Ann Zuniga. Use the simple materials of needle, thread, and felt to experience the calming practice of stitch. No knowledge of sewing or embroidery is needed and materials will be provided. You may want to employ the soft, tactile result as a “pocket comforter.”
- Soothing Rhythms and Calming Chants – Led by Lorie Brush. In our time together, we’ll listen to the rhythms of our breathing and join together in simple chants. By singing with the brothers of Taize, we’ll inhale the strength of God’s presence. By moving our bodies in rhythm, we’ll release some of our tensions. From our shared experience, we’ll invite others into friendship.
- Dancing Our Dreams– Led by Kathleen Moore. Reconnect through movement and music in a spirit of flow and release. We’ll begin with interactive warmups and movement sequences as we stretch our bodies and minds and breathe our way into movements that make meaning. A willing spirit is all that is needed! Please wear comfortable clothing.
- Writing – Led by Laura Martin. We will center ourselves by reading a few poems out loud, and then share quiet writing space with prompts provided by Laura. You will be invited to journal or create a poem in response to the prompts and will have the option at the end of our time to share what the experience was like.
- Coloring – Self-directed. Contribute to a collaborative coloring project. A variety of materials will be provided, and you are invited to use them however the Spirit moves you.